Sunday, June 30, 2013

Growing Up

I'm making this post because I wanted to share some CDVs I've found of teens wearing long skirts. In the 1860's, when a girl began letting her skirts down, it meant she was growing up. More adult styles also began to be worked into her wardrobe. Shorter skirts for girls was the same as boys wearing short pants. I've been wanting to do this for a while, because I really think that I have seen more longer hems than a lot of people think... So... that being said, this post is only going to include longer hems on girls. This doesn't mean that I haven't found LOTS of pictures of girls with shorter skirts, because I have. It only means that I have found more pictures of girls with longer skirts than I had previously thought were in existence. :)


Her skirt isn't floor-length, but then most women's weren't either.


She looks to be about seventeen. I like her jacket. I've seen one for sale just like it!


Again, her skirt isn't floor-length. I like her sleeves.


Marie Peter on her Sweet Sixteen! 


Hers is as long as I've seen any middle-class lady's skirt.


Her skirt is DRAGGING!


Her dress is beautiful!


Her slashes in her sleeves are beautiful!


She has an interesting sleeve treatment.


This looks like her coming out ensemble. Beautiful!


What beautiful hair!


Same kind of hair. I love this ensemble, too!


This one was gotten off of Anna Allen's website http://thegracefullady.com All these next few were.


What a pretty outfit!


This was a short sleeved dress that they added undersleeves to.


Her bodice is pretty!

So, all that being said, here is a picture of a dress on exhibit. This belonged to fourteen year old Nellie Grant and was worn by her during the year 1869.


Well... just thought I would share my findings because I thought they were very interesting. Your thoughts or comments are welcome! :) Enjoy.


















No comments:

Post a Comment